The QIkiqtani Inuit Association in partnership with Baffinland and the Government of Canada is working on ongoing skills development and training in the Qikiqtani region. As part of this project we are recruiting people interested in a career in the skilled trades for the Q-STEP apprenticeship training program.
We are recruiting 25 candidates for the following positions:
- Heavy Equipment Mechanic
- Heavy Duty/Truck Mechanic
- Automotive Mechanic
- Oil Burner Mechanic/Oil Heat System Technicians
If you are recruited, you would join Baffinland as a trades assistants for six months for on the job training in your trade. After you finish this, you would write the Trades Entrance exam. If you make it into the program, you would become a full-time, permanent apprentices at Baffinland!
To be considered, you must meet the following requirements:
- High school graduate certificate
- OR a pass mark in all five Canadian General Educational Development (GED) tests
- OR a successful completion of the trades entrance exam
- OR a successful completion of the trade specific pre-apprenticeship program at Nunavut Arctic College
To learn more about the program, view available positions, and apply online, click here.
If you or someone you know from the Qikiqtani region is interested in applying for this program, please review the trades apprentice positions here. You can also visit one of the QIA or Baffinland Community Liaison Officers. You can also click here to see frequently asked questions on the program and application process.
The apprenticeship training program is offered through the Qikiqtani Skills and Training for Employment Partnership (Q-STEP) program.
Funded in part by the Government of Canada’s Skills and Partnership Fund.