Guardian (five positions)
Arctic Bay, Nunavut
The QIA Guardians will work as part of a team to conduct regular field work, land-based activities, patrols and environmental/observation activities that facilitate the monitoring and stewardship of the Tallurutiup Imanga National Marine Conservation Area (NMCA).
There are five Guardian positions with the Guardian Pilot Program for Arctic Bay. Working closely with the Guardian Crew Lead, the Guardian position assists with planning and preparing for land-based activities including conducting regular patrols, carrying out environmental research and monitoring activities, documenting environmental observations and assisting with the maintenance of equipment. The Guardians also play a key role in youth engagement activities within the Guardian Program.
The land-based nature of the work means spending time away from the community during most working days. Depending on the routes and schedules, overnight stays at cabins or outpost camps may be a regular part of the job.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Demonstrated experience in land and survival skills: hunting, fishing, camping and navigation
- Demonstrated skills dealing with adverse weather conditions
- Strong skills using land equipment including snow machines and boats
- Skills in map reading, navigation and safe handling of firearms
- Knowledge of land and waters around Arctic Bay and surrounding areas
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Willingness to participate in diverse training programs and learning new skills
Preference will be given to Inuit enrolled with Nunavut Tunngavik Inc. in the Qikiqtani Region. Applicants are expected to include three references. The successful candidate will be an employee of the Qikiqtani Inuit Association working flexible hours that suit land-based activities occurring throughout the year. The position will be from summer 2018 to March 2019.
During the week of July 31-August 4, QIA representatives will be in Arctic Bay to recruit applicants for this Guardian Pilot Program.
Applications can be delivered by fax, email, in person, or mail to:
David McAdams Tel: (867) 975-8400
Qikiqtani Inuit Association Fax: (867) 979-3238
Igluvut building, 2nd floor
P.O. Box 1340 Email: Resumes@qia.ca
Iqaluit, NU X0A 0H0
CLOSING DATE: July 31, 2018 5:00pm EST